Friday, July 9, 2021

Using Number Dots when Teaching Addition and Subtraction

Over the years I have used different methods when it comes to teaching my first graders how to add and subtract.  I have found students easily become more fluent with their addition and subtraction facts when using the number dot method.  

This summer I have been working on teaching my son, Landon how to add.  It was a no brainer that I would use the number dot method to teach him with.

Practicing with Touch Points on Numbers

I started by teaching him what the dots on the numbers mean, how many dots each number has, where the dots are located on each number, etc.

Practicing with Touch Points on Numbers

At first all I had him do was practice and memorize the dots on each number.

Practicing with Touch Points on Numbers

One of the fun activities I had him do was add these pom poms to the dots on each number.

Practicing with Touch Points on Numbers

Practicing with Touch Points on Numbers

For the numbers that have the double dots (the black and white dots) I had him add two pom poms next to the double dot.

After he got the dots down for each number it was time to introduce solving an addition problem!

Using Touch Points When Solving Addition Problems

 I made this small 1-9 number line for him to use as a reference tool when solving his problems.

Numbers with Touch Points

Each number has the dots and the steps on how to count the dots written on it.

Numbers with Touching Points

These would also be a great reference tool for your students to use in the classroom!  They are the perfect size to tape on each student's desk.

Touching Points on Numbers

I also made this reference tool for him to use when writing his numbers.

Using Touch Points When Solving Addition Problems

Landon is doing so well with his beginning addition facts and he's only 5!  Number dots make it so easy!

You can also grab these handouts I made for him to use by clicking HERE!

Numbers with Touch Points Handouts and Printables

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to find the name of this program, who created it. Would you happen to know?

    ReplyDelete