This year I decided to try a new craft for my students to make to give to their mother’s for Mother’s Day. The new craft idea turned out to be SUPER cute AND cheap – so I just had to share!
My students made these Shrinky Dink necklaces for their mom’s!
Here’s what it takes to make these super cute necklaces:
1. Shrinky Dinks Paper - I bought this paper from the craft store Michaels. It cost 5.99. (One package will make more than enough for a class set of necklaces.)
2. Using a pencil, trace hearts onto the Shrinky Dinks paper. You can download the heart shape template I used by clicking HERE.
3. Cut out each heart you traced. Using a hole punch – punch one (or two) holes in each heart. The hole will become the perfect size to fit the string of the necklace through.
4. Using colored pencils, have the students draw and color on the rough side of their heart.
5. Follow the oven baking directions provided in the Shrinky Dinks packet to shrink the hearts.
(Here is a better look at the size the hearts start out at and the size the hearts shrink to.)
6. Use some type of string (I used 1mm black string) or necklace chain to finish each necklace. Finally, I tied the necklace ends onto the black string to complete the necklaces!
7. I had each of my students color and decorate an envelope to wrap their mom’s necklace in!
This year I took my Shrinky Dinks idea and altered it a bit. Instead of making our mom's necklaces we made key chains! They turned out super cute and took less time to make than the necklaces did.
Here is how they turned out!